Friday, May 9, 2014

The Running Toilet

I  won't  name  names  in  this  story,  but  it's  a  interesting  lesson  in  the  things  that  occur  when  "the  kids"   are  left  in  charge  of  the  house.

A  divorced  lady  lived  in  one  of  the  ranchers  in  Magnolia  with  3  of  her  4  daughters,  all  over  18  years  of  age.    Finally  a  portion  of  the  lady's  anatomy  became  cancerous.   Her  battle  with  the  deadly  disease  was  unsuccessful.    After  she  passed  away,  the  oldest,  non-resident  daughter  called  me  in  to  assist  with  the  estate.

Mostly,  there  was  no  estate.  Just  a  big  pile  of  unpaid  bills  on  the  dining  room  table,  left  unpaid  by  the  daughters  while  their  mom  lay  in  her  hospital  bed.  As  I  sorted  through  the  bills  --  $20  for  this,   $90  for  that,  $50  for  this,   $75  for  that  --  I  came  upon  the  New  Jersey  Water  bill.   It  was  for  $6,700 !!!

I  said,  "$6,700 !!!  HOW  DID  YOU  LADIES  RUN  UP  A  WATER  BILL  LIKE  THAT   WHILE  YOUR  MOM  WAS  IN  THE  HOSPITAL ???!!!  YOU  HAVE  NO  SWIMMING  POOL !!!"

The  ladies  were  crying,  because  they  knew  the  consequences  --  after  the  Surrogate's  fees,  lawyer's  fees  and  administrator's  commission,  bills  get  paid  before  heirs  get  anything.  "WE  DON'T  KNOW  WHAT  HAPPENED,  PETER !!!"  they  exclaimed.

I  said,  "Let  me  go  to  the  bathroom  and  then  I'll   try  to  figure  this  out."

I  walked  down  the  hall  to  the  bathroom,  opened  the  door  --  and  found  the  toilet  running,  running,  running.  "Well,"  I  thought,  "There's  the  answer !   $6,700  went  down  the  hopper  while  mom  was  in  the  hospital !"

I  took  the  top  off  the  water  box  portion  of  the  toilet,   flushed  the  toilet,  and  saw  that   the  chain  to  the  flush  valve  seat  got  hung-up  every  time.

"How  long  has  the  toilet  been  running  like  that ?"  I  asked  as  I  came  out  of  the  bathroom.

"Oh,"  one  of  the  girls  said  casually,  "It  started  that  as  soon  as  mom  went  into  the  hospital.    That's  alright,  isn't  it?  The  water  just  goes  in  a  big  circle,  right ?"

No comments:

Post a Comment