Saturday, September 26, 2015

Bad Luck Turtle

My  wife  and  I  babysat  the  little  girl  of  the  Vietnamese  couple  who  lived  next  to  us,   from  mid  2004  to  mid  2009.   The  little  girl's  name  was  Lesle  Nhu  Kieu.    I  really  did  come  to  view  that  kid  as  a  kind  of  adopted  daughter.  I  loved  her  like  crazy,   and  genuinely  would  have  given  my  life  for  her's,  as  much  as  I  would  give  my  life  for  my  sons'  lives.



One  Friday  afternoon  in  early  2008,  I  picked   little  Nhu  up  at  Magnolia  Public  School   in  my  car,  even  though  I  live  a  block  away  from  the  school,   because  I  was  taking  her  to  Camden  County  Library.

As  we  drove  down  Warwick  Road  past  our  house,   little  Nhu  shouted,  "MR.  PETER!  MR.  PETER!   THERE'S  A  TURTLE  WALKING  ON  THE  SIDEWALK  IN  FRONT  OF  YOUR  WARWICK  ROAD  DOOR!"

I  drove  around  the  block  and  parked  next  to  my  house,  and  ran  around  to  the  front  door  of  my  house  with  little  Nhu.  Sure  enough,  there  on  the  sidewalk  between  my  front  door  and  the  Warwick  Road  sidewalk  was  a  great,  big,  bright   Eastern  Box  Turtle,  Terrapene carolina carolina   under  the  binomial  nomenclature  system  of  genus,  species  and  subspecies  classification ...




"Mr.  Peter,"  little  Nhu  said  to  me  with  a  serious  face,    "This  is  very  bad!    The  turtle  is  walking  away  from  your  house!  In  Vietnam  that  means  that  you  are  about  to  have  very  bad  luck!"

I  did  not  even  know  that  we  had  turtles,  there  on  busy  Warwick  Road.  Where  had  the  animal  come  from?   In  any  event,  little  Nhu  and  I  took  the  turtle  around  to  the  other  side  of  the  house  and  released  it  into  my  wife  Rise`'s  garden.     To  my  surprise,  the  turtle  immediately  began  to   dig  into  the  ground,  as  though  to  construct  a  new  dwelling  for  itself.

Eminently  satisfied  that  we  had  done  our  good  deed  for  Nature,  little  Nhu  asked  if  I  could  let  her  into  her  house  so  that  she  could  change  into  more  comfortable  clothes   for  our  anticipated  trip  to  the  library.   So,  we   went  next  door,  and  while  I  waited  in  the  living  room,  little  Nhu  went  back  to  her  bedroom  and  changed.  Nhu  yelled  to  me  from  her  bedroom,  as  she  changed,  "I  WONDER  WHAT  BAD  LUCK  YOU'RE  GOING  TO  HAVE,  BECAUSE  THAT  TURTLE  WAS  WALKING  AWAY  FROM  YOUR  HOUSE,  MR.  PETER!"

At  that  moment,  as  though  on  cue,    there  was  a  knock  at  little  Nhu's  front  door.     It  was  my  oldest  son  Josh.

"Dad,"   Josh  asked,  "Didn't  you  feel   the  ground  shaking  or  hear  the  big  bang?"

"No,  Josh,"  I  said,    "I  heard  nothing."

"Where's  Lesle,  Dad?   You  two  have  to  come  to  our  house  immediately!"

"She's  in  her  bedroom  changing  her  clothes,  Josh.  What's  up?"  I  asked,  getting  worried.

"Dad,"  Josh  explained,  "The  giant  oak  tree  in  front  of  our  house  just  split  in  half,  and  the  half  closest  to  our  house  just  fell  and  slammed  against  the  front  of  the  house  and  damaged  it,  all  over  the  place.   It's  really  bad!   Lesle!  Hurry  up  and  change  so  that  Dad  can  come  home!"

Little  Nhu  came  out,  her  clothes  changed,  but  carrying  her  socks  and  sneakers.  "Well,"  little  Nhu  said,  "There  it  is,  Mr.  Peter!     Your  bad  luck!"   She  pulled  on  her  socks  and  sneakers   and  we  ran  over  to  my  house. 

The  tree  had  split  down  the  center,  vertically,    and  the  half  which  had  fallen  had  smashed  the  front  of  our  house  at  several  places.   The  half  which  had  not  yet  fallen  was  leaning  precariously over  the  rancher  of  our  neighbor  on  Warwick  Road,  Barbara  Cheeseman,    and  would  clearly  crush  her  house  in  short  order.

I  went  over  to  Mrs.  Cheeseman's  house,  and  discovered  that  she  already  had  a  argument  in  her  holster  to  avoid  paying  for  half  of  the  cost  of  tree  removal.  "You'd  better   pay  to  have  your  tree  removed,  Peter  Dawson,    before  it  crushes  my  house,  or  I'll  have  a  lawyer  sue  you!"

I  answered,  "Barbara,  how  are  you  doing?  Listen,  Barbara,    the  trunk  of  that  tree   lies  dead  center  on  the  border  between  our  properties.  The  half  of  it  which  had  been   on  our  side  of  the  border  is  now  leaning  against  the  front  of  my  house.    The  half  of  it  which  is  on  your  side  of  the  property   hasn't  moved,    but  it's  obviously  going  to  fall  onto  your  house  and  crush  it  very  shortly.  A  little  breeze,  or  a  light  rain  adding  a  few  thousand  pounds  of  water  weight  to  the  tree,  will  bring  it  down."

"NO!"   Barbara  insisted  angrily,  "THE  TREE  IS  100%   ON  YOUR  SIDE  OF  THE  BORDER  LINE  BETWEEN  OUR  PROPERTIES!  IT'S  YOUR  RESPONSIBILITY!"

I  answered,  with  kindness,  "Listen  Barbara,  I'll  tell  you  what.  Of  course,  since  I  am  a  lawyer,  I  have  several  friends   who  are  lawyers.    Since  you  say  that  the  tree  is  100%   on  my  side  of  the  boundary   line  between  our  properties,  if  I  have  one  of  those  lawyers  draw  up  new  deeds  to  your  property  and  my  property   with  a  boundary  line   100%  on  your  side  of  the  tree  trunk,    you'll  sign  it  then,  right?    If  you  are  correct,    and  the  tree,  right  now,  is  100%  of  my  side  of  the  boundary  line,    you  won't  lose  anything,  right?  But  if  I'm  right,  I'm  about  to  become  the  owner  of  additional  several  hundred  square  feet  of  your  property,  right?"

THIS  "smoked-out"  Barbara  from   her   initial  position  immediately.

"But  I  can't  AFFORD  to  pay   for  my  half  of  the  tree,  Pete!"  she  pleaded,  "I  just  don't  have  the  money!  Won't  your  insurance  company  cover  it?"

I  responded,  "Insurance  companies  are  hair-splitters,  Barbara,  especially  since   9/11,   the  Enron  Scandal,  the  Dot  Com  Scandal,    Hurricane  Katrina  and  losses  on  those  things  called  'derivatives.'   The  companies  are  going  broke  and  looking  for  ways  to  avoid  liability.  Odds  are  that  my  insurance  company  is  going  to  pay  for  only  half  of  the  cost  of  tree  removal.  And  since  no  'accident'  has  occurred  involving  your  half  of  the  tree,  yet,  your  insurance  company  will  probably  respond  by  denying  liability   for  any  loss  which  you  might  have  to  suffer  on  collapse  of  your  half  of  the  tree,    due  to  'improper  maintenance'  --  NOT  removing  a  damaged  tree  --  by  you.     Let  me  talk  to  Rise`  and  I'll  get  back  to  you."

My  wife  Rise`  and  I  talked  about  it,  and  we  decided  to  promise  to  Mrs.  Cheeseman  that  we  would  cover   the  cost  of  removal  of  Mrs.  Cheeseman's  half  of  the  tree,  too,  out-of-pocket.

No  good  deed  goes  unpunished.    Our  "reward"  for  our  charity  to  Mrs.  Cheeseman  was  that  she  stopped  talking  to  us,  so  long  as  she  lived  next  to  us,  I  guessed  because  of  anger  that  I  called  her  bluff   about  not  actually  owning  half  of  the  tree.  Bad  luck  from  the  turtle   had  struck  again!

Was  the  turtle  done  with  us,  yet?

I  told  my  family  about  the  amazing  coincidence  of  little  Nhu's  interpretation  of  the  turtle's  direction  of  walk,  and  the  collapse  of  the  tree  a  half  hour  later.     "Probably,"  I  suggested,  "The  turtle  was  living  beneath  the  tree,  and  heard  the  tree  begin  to  split  in  half,  and  was  making  his  escape.  But,  still,  little  Nhu's  guess  was  pretty  amazing!"

We  went  out  to  the  garden  and  looked  for  the  turtle,   as  we  waited  outside  for  the  tree  surgeon,  Cameron  Lyon  of  Lyon  &  Son  Tree  Service,  to  come  and  give  us  an  estimate  for  tree  removal  the  next  day.  

The  turtle  was  already  hopelessly  out  of  reach,  having  buried  itself  deep  in  our  garden  on  the  side  of  the  house  --  or  so  we  thought.

That  night,    as  we  sat  in  our  family  room  talking  about  the  collapse,    we  heard  a  "klunk"  in  the  dining  room  wall  next  to  the  garden  where  the  turtle  had  dug  in.  Apparently,    it  was  getting  close  to  turtle  hibernation  time,  and  the  turtle  had  somehow  worked  its  way   through  an  open  section  of  the  foundation   underground  up  into  the  warmth  of  our  dining  room  wall,  near  the  forced-air  heating  conduit  in  the  wall!   We  heard  the  damnable  thing  "klunking"  in  the  wall  a  few  times  each  day,  all  Winter  long,  as  it  changed  position!

That  was  it;  the  turtle  was  through  with  us,  right?

We  aren't  sure.     The  next  day,  Cameron  Lyon  came  with  his  trucks  to  take  down  and  haul  away  both  sides  of  the  giant  oak  tree ...



A  few  years  later,  in  2013,  poor  Cameron  Lyon  died  in  a  fall  from  a  tall  tree  being  trimmed  by   his  business  in  Haddonfield.

Our  turtle  "friend"  returns  to  the  wall  every  Winter,  now,    clunking   its  way  up  through  the  wall  to  hibernate.

No comments:

Post a Comment