Saturday, September 26, 2015

How NOT to Do a Realtor a Favor

Years  ago,  after  the  Vietnamese  couple  living  in  the  house  next  to  ours  separated  and  then  divorced  and  abandoned  the  house,  the  bank  commenced  foreclosure,  and  rolled  the  house  over  to   a  realtor  for  marketing  with  refreshing  quickness.

The  realtor  in  charge  of  the  property  for  the  foreclosing  bank   knew  me,  from  my  law  work.  He  stopped  by  my  house  one  evening  and  asked  me  if  I  had  a  key  to  the  place,  and  I  did.  He  took  it  from  me  and  said,    "Pete,  I'll  return  your  key  to  you,  in  case  you  need  to  get  into  the  house  for  the  bank  if  our  listing  runs  out."

The  following  Saturday,    the  realtor  still  had  not  made   the  copies  or  installed  a  key  lock  box.   He  called  me  around  noon  and  said,  "Pete,  I  was  lazy  and  stupid.  I  was  walking  around  with  the  key  to  the  house  in  my  pocket  all  week  long,  without  making  copies   or  installing  a  lock  box.   When  I  showed  the  house  to  an  interested  party  two  days  ago,    I  accidentally  locked  your  key  on  the  inside  of  the  house.      I  noticed  that  the   latch  on  the window  in  the  back  bedroom  is  broken.  We  could  gain  access   through  there  and  recover  the  key  from  where  I  left  it  in  the  kitchen,  on  the  counter.  Do  you  have  a  ladder  you  could  use  to  go  into  that  window,  recover  the  key  for  me  and  lock  the  place  back  up?   I'll  be  there  very  shortly."

I  thought,  "What  a  harebrain!"  I  answered,  "I'll  do  it,  but  you  owe  my  law  practice  a  referral!"  He  agreed.

So,  I  went  and  got  one  of  my  ladders,    placed  it  against  the  rear  of  the  house,    and  start  climbing  up  the  ladder  to  get  in.

And,  of  course,  one  of  the  new  neighbors  on  the  other  side  of  the  block   looked  out  their  back  window  and  saw  a  "suspicious  male  climbing  into  a  house   with  a  ladder"  and  call ed  911.

And,  of  course,  this,  in  essence,  is  what  the  police  arriving  on  the  scene   got  to  see ...


  
"Ahem,"  one  of  the  police  went.

I  thought,  "Ah  [expletive  deleted]!"

Now,  the  problem  with  my  situation  that  day  was  that  day    --   it  was  a  Saturday,  when  the  "weekenders,"  the  police  from  out-of-town,    were  on  patrol  in  Magnolia  to  supplement  their  regular  incomes.   They  didn't  know  me.

For  all  they  knew,  they  had  caught  a  daylight  burglar,  well,  not  "red-handed,"  but  red-somethinged.

I  said,    "My  name  is  Pete  Dawson.  I  am  the  lawyer  who  lives  next  door.  The  realtor   on  the  'For  Sale'  sign  on  the  front  lawn  is  on  his  way  here  now.    Here  is  my  cell  phone.  Call  him  and  he  will   ID  me   and  tell  you  that  in  fact  he  gave  me  authorization  to  go  into  the  back  window  to  recover  the  house  key  he  accidentally  left  on  the  kitchen  counter."

And,  of  course,  when  the  police  tried  the  realtor's  number,  nobody  answered.

And,  of  course,  the  realtor  never  arrived  as  he  had  promised.

Damn!

I  said,  "Look,  guys,    before  you  cuff  me  and  take  me  in,  get  Dispatch  to  connect  you  with  the  Police  Chief,  Rob  Doyle."

Luckily,  they  agreed.    Rob  had  them  ask  me  two  questions  only  I  would  know  the  answers  to,  and  told  them  what  the  answers  had  to  be.  I  gave  the  correct  answers,  and  I  was  in  the  clear.

The  "weekenders"  crankily  instructed  me  to  "please  call  the  Police  in  advance  before  you  pull  a  stunt  like  that  again."

The  realtor  finally  called  on  my  cell  phone,  just  before  the  police  left,  and  the  "weekenders"  yelled  at  him,  too,  for  being  really  stupid.

The  realtor  asked  me  for  the  name  of  my  favorite  alcoholic   beverage,  to  "make  it  up  to  you."

I  said,   "Ouzo."

And,  of  course,  he  never  brought  me  a  bottle.

And  that   is  the  true  story  of  how  I  was  literally  left   with  my  ass  hanging  out  the  window,  in  Magnolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment