Saturday, September 26, 2015

HOW I FOILED A MAGNOLIA AUTO THEFT IN JUST MY FRUIT OF THE LOOMS

For  many  years,  I  represented  a  ne'er-do-well  named  Joseph  Ferrara  in  the  New  Jersey  criminal  justice  system.   Joe  is  dead  now.    He  died  after  making  a  full,  careful,  confession  to  a  Catholic  priest.    Hopefully,  like  the  Good  Thief   Dismas  on  the  cross  next  to  that  of  Christ,  Joe  managed  to  steal  Heaven.

Joe  was  a  fascinating  mix  of  saint  and  sinner,  in  his  life.   Aren't  we  all,  right?   I  know  essentially  why  he  was  a  sinner.    I  won't  reveal  that,  here.      But  I  will  describe  an  incident  in  which   he  tried  without  success  to  have  my  Dodge  Aries  station  wagon  stolen,    years  ago,  at  my  home  in  Magnolia.

One  day,  I was  at  work  in  my  little  law  office  at  home,  pulling  together  evidence  I  would  need  for  night  court  in  the  municipal  court  one  town  over  from  Magnolia.  I  heard  a  knock  at  the  door.    Waiting  there  was  Joseph   Ferrara,  looking  very  "strung  out"  and  seriously  in  need  of  a  fix.

"Pete,"   he  said,  "I  need  $50  for  groceries,  right  now,  this  minute."

I  answered,  "No,  Joe.  I  know  the  look.     You're  in  need  of  a  'hit.'   The  instant  you  get  $50,  you're  going  to  make  a  call,  get  a  ride  to  Gloucester  City,     and  juice-up  on  drugs.   I  can  even  tell  you  what  the  $50's  for.  I  know  'H'  withdrawal  when  I  see  it.  Come  on,  Joe,  if  you're  this  bad,  you're  almost  maxed-out  of  your  withdrawal.  Let  me  call  Police,  and  maybe  they'll  lock  you  up  if  you  tell  them  that  you've  been  using."

"Hey,  Pete,  let  me  come  into  your  house,"  he  said.

"Nope!"  I  responded.  "You'll  case  my  place,  and  I'll  have  to  stay  up  a  week  just  to  keep  from  being  burglarized."

"Come  ON,   Pete,"    he  begged.

"No,"  I  calmly  insisted.  "I'll  buy  you  lunch  which  I  will  watch  you  eat,  Joe,  but  we're  walking  to  the  restaurant.  No  vehicle  for  you,  unless  it's  a  paddy  wagon.     You're  way  too  desperate   to  be  a  passenger  in  a  motor  vehicle."

"Hey,  Pete,"  Joe  responded,  "That  is  a  very  good  looking  station  wagon  you  have  there."

"Hey,  Joe,  thanks!,"  I  said,  with  feigned   naivete,  "I'm  glad  that  you  appreciate  that!"

"I'M  THREATENING  TO  STEAL  YOUR  CAR  WHEN  YOU'RE  NOT  LOOKING,  YOU  IDIOT!"    Joe  yelled  demonically,    annoyed  at  my  feigned  naivete.

I  answered,  "Come  on,  Joe.  Cut  the  crap.    Look  at  you.     Listen  to  what  you  are  saying  to  one  of  the  few  people  on  Earth  who  is  able  to  shake  your  hand  and  call  you  'friend.'  Don't  sell  your  last  friendship  to  the  Devil  for   a  drug  high,  Joe.   That's  the  express  train  to  Hell.  Shake  my  hand,  call  me  'friend,'  and  walk  away,  Joe."

Joe  spat  at  me,  voiced  an  obscenity,  and  left.

As  soon  as  he  was  gone,  I  drove  to  American  Battery   and  purchased  The  Club  for  the  steering  wheel  of  each  of  our  cars ...



...  and  locked-up  each  of  the  cars,  and  distributed  keys  to  family  members,  as  they  began   arriving  home  from  work,    and  then  I  left  for  court.   I  then  spent  the  next  7  hours  in  night  court  on  a  protracted  municipal-level  trial,     arriving  home  at  about  1:15  a.m.  on  a  hot  Summer  night.    I  stripped  down  to  my  Fruit-of-the-Looms   downstairs,  and  watched  television,  planning  to  don  my  PJs  when  I  went  upstairs  after  I  began  to  feel  sleepy.

At  1:30  a.m.  I  saw  the  headlights  of  cars  pulling  up  to  the  house  shining  through  the  curtains.  I  peeked  out  and  saw  a  group  of   young  men  standing  around  my  car,  shining  headlights  into  it.     I  listened  carefully  through  the  partially  opened  window  and  heard  one  guy  screaming  at  the  other  guy  that  there  just  wasn't  enough  time  to  "get  that  thing  off  the  steering  wheel."

I  jumped  up   and  dashed  to  the  main   door  of  the  house   and  jumped  from   the  porch  to  the  sidewalk,  dressed  only  in  my  Fruit-of-the-looms,  screaming  something  unearthly.   The  young  men  looked  up,  shocked,  frozen  in  place.

I  heard  Joe  Ferrara  screaming  like  a  madman  from  a  car  on   stopped  on  Warwick  Road,  in  front  of  my  house,  "STEAL  THE  CAR!   GET  THAT  CAR!"

I  yelled,  "JOE  FERRARA,  GET  THE  HELL  OUT  OF  HERE!"

Then  an  idea  jumped  into  my  head:  Thank  him  for  "setting-up"   the  guys  standing  around  my  car,  because  police  were  on  the  way.

But  it  occurred  to  me  that  they  would  respond  by  murdering  Joe,  if  I  shouted  that.

So,  instead,  I  just  turned  to  the  young  men,  and  yelled  as  loud  as  I  could,  "YOU  GET  THE  HELL  OUT  OF  HERE,  TOO!!!    THE  WHOLE  NEIGHBORHOOD  KNOWS  THAT  FERRARA  IS  IN  THAT  CAR,  NOW.  LEAVE  BEFORE  SOMEONE  CALLS  POLICE!!!"

And  they  all  left,  and  that  was  it.





No comments:

Post a Comment